This gem came to my mailbox on promo a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve been itching to share it ever since. Strippedmuzikclub offer their 17th and final download of the series just released to the public this week, finishing strong with this huge tune by the prolific Irish producer, SMAK (aka Steve McCready). The tune has a beautiful chill vibe, and immediately takes me back to the shores of San Antonio in Ibiza. Smooth, dark and moody, it is a very groovy update of the original.
For me, a really great remix takes the best parts of a track, and highlights them, which is exactly what SMAK does here. The vocal gains a depth with the deep undertones, and the strings contrast beautifully. The long and the short of it is…you want this remix as part of your collection.
Bonus points, it’s an early Christmas gift from the team at Stripped.
JOHN NORMAN is back to work for Stripped Digital, this time on remix duty for the title track of POLITIS‘ Stripped debut EP, Cloudmass. John has shown us in the past that his feet are firmly planted in the Techno world, whether laying down a steady Tech House groove or dialing in a definite, Minimal sound. This track is decidedly in the later of the two. It is deep and raw as we might expect from John, but it is also continues the trend of darkness we have seen lately from him.
For a track that is so sparse (The sole melodic element being a reverby, syncopated baseline), it is awash with character. The atmosphere can be likened to walking in an unfamiliar forest on a rainy night. The rain, in this case, is a grittiness provided by the vinyl-like click and pop elements.
If there’s one thing that John Norman has been successful in incorporating into his tracks, it’s mood. “Cloudmass” is definitely no exception. It is every bit cold and calculating as it is mysterious and enigmatic.
I had a fantastic time at Amsterdam Dance Event this year, which included seeing sets by legends such as Dave Seaman and Pete Gooding, the Suara night including Coyu, and a rocking boat party hosted by Housepital, featuring Baramuda and Mark Kane.
I had a great time playing myself, and have made my recorded set available for download as Episode 2 of my new Obsession With Sound podcast. My own tunes feature fairly heavily here, including my remix of Dantiez Saunderson – Zebroo Anthem from earlier in the year, and a new tune John Norman & Dantiez Saunderson – Resonance, to be released early in 2014, along side some deep dark tech house that I know you’ll enjoy.
JOHN NORMAN – AOWS002 - RECORDED LIVE @ ADE 2013 -
- TRACKLISTING -
01. Piatto – The Things We Never Know (Original Mix) – 1605
02. Raffaele Rizzi – Bouncing (Original Mix) – Bitten
03. Youri Donatz & Bjorn Wolf – So I Say (Original Mix) – Noir Music
04. Shlomi Aber – Limited By You (Original Mix) – Be As One
05. Green Velvet – Bigger Than Prince (Hot Since 82 Remix) – Circus Records
06. Kevin Over – Jack Back (Original Mix) – Noir Music
07. Peter Bailey – Brooklyn Bound (Original Mix) – Deeperfect Records
08. Inner City & Kevin Saunderson – Good Life (Pig&Dan (Less Is More Dub Mix)) – KMS Records
09. Dantiez Saunderson – Zebroo Anthem (John Norman Remix) – Stripped Off
10. Ian Pooley – CompuRhythm (Dixon 4/4 Treatment) – Ministry of Sound (UK)
11. Luca M – The Nowhere Train (Alex Marcu Remix) – Blue Orb Records
12. Olivier Giacomotto – 20000 Leagues Under The Skin (Original Mix) – Definitive Recordings
13. Noir, Haz, Ron Costa & Compact Grey – Around The Ban (Noir Mashup Treatment) – Noir Music
14. Jay Lumen – Fifty Fifty (Jay’s Stripped Chicago Mix) – 100% Pure
15. JP Chronic – Just For Your Own Insanity (Original Mix) – Recovery Tech
16. Pig&Dan – Junglism (Original Mix) – Soma Records
17. Dantiez Saunderson & John Norman – Resonance (Original Mix) – (promo)
This Friday, October 25 Sanctuary turns a bit ghoulish. If you’re in the mood for some house and techno and all frequencies in between I highly recommend checking out the monthly.
In this installment, ALI KHAN graces us with a live PA. I love what this guy does – his performances are so intricate. While the music he plays is somewhat minimal, the sonics explores some of the most sublime frequencies.
LOTEK and I normally dj together as THE SHAKE. I’ve got to say though, he is one of the best crate diggers (albeit virtual ones) I’ve come across. Somehow, despite the fact that I’m tapped into seemingly endless promos from this here blog, he consistently finds gems I had no idea existed. His sets (both solo and when we play together) showcase a master skill at tempo and mood changes, most notably through risky transitions that always seem to work out. I’d expect some tribal and maybe a few (halloween-themed) mashups from him.
Having come into the Winnipeg scene relatively late, unfortunately I don’t know much about what Dier plays. I’m told though, she’s somewhat of a tastemaker in the Symptom Technologies crew.
Lastly, resident dj JUSTIN KACE closes out the night, likely with some brooding techno. True story: Mr. Kace came to a night I was playing at and I invited him to hop on the decks. He didn’t bring anything with him so he used my gear and dug through some of my tunes and managed to find the most atmospheric and minimal tunes I had, despite not knowing anything on my hard drive. His girlfriend’s laugh and look of astonishment spoke of his primal desire to these genres.
As you may or may not know, I’ve started a new monthly podcast series in association with Modulate FM. The series, titled “An Obsession With Sound” will feature live recordings, studio mixes, and guest appearances chock full of the best underground tech house you can find.
The first instalment was recorded live at The Pyramid Cabaret in Winnipeg, Canada on 20 September. Have a listen! It starts out light and groovy, then around the 30 minute mark we get ready for some serious business.
01. Aki Bergen – Get Better feat Lazarusman (Original Mix) – Neurotraxx Deluxe
02. Federico Locchi & UGLH – No Category (Piano Dub Mix) – 8Bit Records
03. Paul Kalkbrenner – Sky and Sand (Original Mix) – Bpitch Control
04. Adam Port – Weekend (Original Mix) – Play It Down
05. Jesse Rose – Alone (Original Mix) – Mixmag Records
06. Simone Vitullo – Confusion feat. Lady Vale (Original Mix) – Lapsus Music
07. Dubspeeka – Possession (Original Mix) – Truesoul
08. Alex Mayer – Profuse (Miss Shiva Remix) – Essence Recordings
09. Harry ‘Choo Choo’ Romero, Erick Morillo, & Jose Nunez – Dancin (Accapella) – Subliminal Records
10. Ruben Mandolini – Aporia (Original Mix) – Toolroom Records
11. Tina V – Techy For Me (Original Mix) – Sphera Records
12. Sharam Jey – Shake Your (Nicole Moudaber Remix) – Toolroom Records
13. Kaiser Souzai – Bolero (Dubspeeka Remix) – BluFin
14. Carlo Lio – Stuck In A Dream (Original Mix) – Mindshake Records
15. Tomi Chair – Walking On Your Image (John Norman Remix) – Stripped Digital
16. Robert Babicz – A Night In Melbourne (Original Mix) – Treibstoff
17. F.Sonik – Under Control (Original Mix) – KD Music
I returned earlier this week from a whirlwind in Ibiza; my first trip included the chance to cover the AMAZING Enter Parties at Space (which will be reviewed on the blog shortly) as well as the chance to play some gigs. One of those was at the fabulous Savannah Cafe, where I was luck enough to join the line-up for Mark Knight’s Eden pre-party on 5 August.
Overlooking the beach and sea while you play to an enthusiastic crowd is truly a pleasure. Check out the live set here! More to follow soon as I post my review of Richie Hawtin’s Enter. Party at Space Ibiza, too.
LIVE FROM SAVANNAH CAFE IBIZA
01. Fabio Giannelli – Maintain (M.A.N.D.Y. Remix) – Get Physical Music
02. Holocube – Flat Lick (Basti Grub Remix) – BluFin
03. The Deepshakerz – Workout (Original Mix) – Area Remote
04. Romanthony – Let Me Show You Love (Oliver $ Dub) – Glasgow Underground
05. Tim Deluxe – Surya (Reprise) – Get Human
06. Jesse Rose – Alone (Original Mix) – Mixmag Records
07. Muzzaik & Exacta – Reach Deep (Accapella) – Dublife Music
08. Hauswerks, Jaymo & Andy George – Guess Who (Original Mix) – Moda Black
09. John Norman – Four Four Two (Original Mix) – Hype Muzik
10. Moloko – Sing It back (Accapella)
11. Hauswerks, Jaymo & Andy George – Take It To The Hoop (Original Mix) – Moda Black
12. David Mayer – Celsius (Synth Tool) – Keinemusik
13. John Norman – Then (Original Mix) – 3Exit Group Records
14. Dillon – Thirteen Thirtyfive (Deniz Kurtel Ruya Remix) – Bpitch Control
Staying true to form, this latest EP from Dan Price’s Fracas Music presents an original and a remix which both stand up to the test. Each tailored to a different part of a set or kind of crowd, I’m sure many of us are going to find both tunes in our collections.
Misanthrope – Original Mix – has a jackin’ feel to it, with syncopated rhythms and a nice low slung vocal, perfect for that sunny daytime set out doors.
Misanthrope – Dave Brody Remix – brings forward a more moody tech house sound, suitable to those later night sets when you want the head bobbers to come away from the back of the room and start dancing like they mean it.
Both are available for preview on Soundcloud. And don’t be lazy, jump over to Beatport to grab these two right away. They’ve just released today, and you don’t want to be late to the party, do you?