JOHN NORMAN is back to work for Stripped Digital, this time on remix duty for the title track of POLITIS‘ Stripped debut EP, Cloudmass. John has shown us in the past that his feet are firmly planted in the Techno world, whether laying down a steady Tech House groove or dialing in a definite, Minimal sound. This track is decidedly in the later of the two. It is deep and raw as we might expect from John, but it is also continues the trend of darkness we have seen lately from him.
For a track that is so sparse (The sole melodic element being a reverby, syncopated baseline), it is awash with character. The atmosphere can be likened to walking in an unfamiliar forest on a rainy night. The rain, in this case, is a grittiness provided by the vinyl-like click and pop elements.
If there’s one thing that John Norman has been successful in incorporating into his tracks, it’s mood. “Cloudmass” is definitely no exception. It is every bit cold and calculating as it is mysterious and enigmatic.
You can check out a sample here:
or you can get the Cloudmass EP by Politis (including the John Norman Remix) right now, exclusively on Beatport.
John Norman Links:
John Norman on Beatport
John Norman on SoundCloud
John Norman on Facebook
John Norman on Twitter
I had a fantastic time at Amsterdam Dance Event this year, which included seeing sets by legends such as Dave Seaman and Pete Gooding, the Suara night including Coyu, and a rocking boat party hosted by Housepital, featuring Baramuda and Mark Kane.
I had a great time playing myself, and have made my recorded set available for download as Episode 2 of my new Obsession With Sound podcast. My own tunes feature fairly heavily here, including my remix of Dantiez Saunderson – Zebroo Anthem from earlier in the year, and a new tune John Norman & Dantiez Saunderson – Resonance, to be released early in 2014, along side some deep dark tech house that I know you’ll enjoy.
JOHN NORMAN – AOWS002 - RECORDED LIVE @ ADE 2013 -
- TRACKLISTING -
01. Piatto – The Things We Never Know (Original Mix) – 1605
02. Raffaele Rizzi – Bouncing (Original Mix) – Bitten
03. Youri Donatz & Bjorn Wolf – So I Say (Original Mix) – Noir Music
04. Shlomi Aber – Limited By You (Original Mix) – Be As One
05. Green Velvet – Bigger Than Prince (Hot Since 82 Remix) – Circus Records
06. Kevin Over – Jack Back (Original Mix) – Noir Music
07. Peter Bailey – Brooklyn Bound (Original Mix) – Deeperfect Records
08. Inner City & Kevin Saunderson – Good Life (Pig&Dan (Less Is More Dub Mix)) – KMS Records
09. Dantiez Saunderson – Zebroo Anthem (John Norman Remix) – Stripped Off
10. Ian Pooley – CompuRhythm (Dixon 4/4 Treatment) – Ministry of Sound (UK)
11. Luca M – The Nowhere Train (Alex Marcu Remix) – Blue Orb Records
12. Olivier Giacomotto – 20000 Leagues Under The Skin (Original Mix) – Definitive Recordings
13. Noir, Haz, Ron Costa & Compact Grey – Around The Ban (Noir Mashup Treatment) – Noir Music
14. Jay Lumen – Fifty Fifty (Jay’s Stripped Chicago Mix) – 100% Pure
15. JP Chronic – Just For Your Own Insanity (Original Mix) – Recovery Tech
16. Pig&Dan – Junglism (Original Mix) – Soma Records
17. Dantiez Saunderson & John Norman – Resonance (Original Mix) – (promo)
With Halloween falling on a Thursday this year we’re getting quite the bang for the buck. Last weekend saw a number of spooky-themed events and even though the holiday will have officially passed, it’s not stopping the festivities.
First, the Symptom Technologies crew are holding their annual party. If you’re into house and techno, this is where you’ll want to be. The night features the talents of Mike Jasper, Nikki Volan, Deir, and a special back2back set from Nathan Zahn + Chris Komus.
Date: Saturday, November 2
Location: The Pyramid Cabaret (176 Fort Street)
Event info here
If bass music is what you’re after, the Mixtechs and Music First crews are gathering for Monster Clash. Kimberly O Dot, El Richee, The Silver Fox, Theo Tzu, and James Helwig will bring the boom.
Date: Friday, November 1
Location: Mondragon (91 Albert Street)
Tickets: $5 adv / $10 door
Event info here
Finally, the annual Sound Republic Halloween massive, Scream, is the place to be if you’re looking for one of those
raves all night dance parties. Headliners are MAKJ, MYSTO & PIZZI, and MAT THE ALIEN along with a tonne of locals.
Date: Saturday, November 2
Location: Wheelies (1010 Logan Ave)
Traveling to the USA, Spain and Europe this summer, I’ve been a bit delinquent about chart posting, but I’m back with a vengeance now that the snow is threatening. Must keep warm with techno! Here is a selection of 10 tracks that are really moving me right now, in no particular order.
Citizen Kain & Phuture Traxx – I Want You (Dustin Zahn Monolith Remix) – BluFin
Jay Lumen – Fifty Fifty (Original) – 100% Pure
Pig&Dan – Junglism (Original) – Soma Records
Olivier Giacomotto – 20000 Leagues Under The Skin (Original) – Definitive
Macromism – Untoldyou (original) – Suara
Greg Gow – Flood Zone (Original) – Restructured
Matt Sassari – Bump Me (Original) – Deeperfect
Gary Beck – Time For Baby (Original) – Bek Audio
CLICK HERE for Audio
Piatto – Things We Never Know (Original Mix) – 1605
Marky V – Graveyard Sway (John Norman Remix) – Corruption
Friday, October 25
The Loft (774 Corydon Ave)
Facebook event info
This Friday, October 25 Sanctuary turns a bit ghoulish. If you’re in the mood for some house and techno and all frequencies in between I highly recommend checking out the monthly.
In this installment, ALI KHAN graces us with a live PA. I love what this guy does – his performances are so intricate. While the music he plays is somewhat minimal, the sonics explores some of the most sublime frequencies.
LOTEK and I normally dj together as THE SHAKE. I’ve got to say though, he is one of the best crate diggers (albeit virtual ones) I’ve come across. Somehow, despite the fact that I’m tapped into seemingly endless promos from this here blog, he consistently finds gems I had no idea existed. His sets (both solo and when we play together) showcase a master skill at tempo and mood changes, most notably through risky transitions that always seem to work out. I’d expect some tribal and maybe a few (halloween-themed) mashups from him.
Having come into the Winnipeg scene relatively late, unfortunately I don’t know much about what Dier plays. I’m told though, she’s somewhat of a tastemaker in the Symptom Technologies crew.
Lastly, resident dj JUSTIN KACE closes out the night, likely with some brooding techno. True story: Mr. Kace came to a night I was playing at and I invited him to hop on the decks. He didn’t bring anything with him so he used my gear and dug through some of my tunes and managed to find the most atmospheric and minimal tunes I had, despite not knowing anything on my hard drive. His girlfriend’s laugh and look of astonishment spoke of his primal desire to these genres.
As you may or may not know, I’ve started a new monthly podcast series in association with Modulate FM. The series, titled “An Obsession With Sound” will feature live recordings, studio mixes, and guest appearances chock full of the best underground tech house you can find.
The first instalment was recorded live at The Pyramid Cabaret in Winnipeg, Canada on 20 September. Have a listen! It starts out light and groovy, then around the 30 minute mark we get ready for some serious business.
01. Aki Bergen – Get Better feat Lazarusman (Original Mix) – Neurotraxx Deluxe
02. Federico Locchi & UGLH – No Category (Piano Dub Mix) – 8Bit Records
03. Paul Kalkbrenner – Sky and Sand (Original Mix) – Bpitch Control
04. Adam Port – Weekend (Original Mix) – Play It Down
05. Jesse Rose – Alone (Original Mix) – Mixmag Records
06. Simone Vitullo – Confusion feat. Lady Vale (Original Mix) – Lapsus Music
07. Dubspeeka – Possession (Original Mix) – Truesoul
08. Alex Mayer – Profuse (Miss Shiva Remix) – Essence Recordings
09. Harry ‘Choo Choo’ Romero, Erick Morillo, & Jose Nunez – Dancin (Accapella) – Subliminal Records
10. Ruben Mandolini – Aporia (Original Mix) – Toolroom Records
11. Tina V – Techy For Me (Original Mix) – Sphera Records
12. Sharam Jey – Shake Your (Nicole Moudaber Remix) – Toolroom Records
13. Kaiser Souzai – Bolero (Dubspeeka Remix) – BluFin
14. Carlo Lio – Stuck In A Dream (Original Mix) – Mindshake Records
15. Tomi Chair – Walking On Your Image (John Norman Remix) – Stripped Digital
16. Robert Babicz – A Night In Melbourne (Original Mix) – Treibstoff
17. F.Sonik – Under Control (Original Mix) – KD Music
Release/catalogue number: AOWS001
Release date: Sep 26, 2013
Here’s the new single from CURSES, a deep exploration into a techy dimension, ideal for dark spaces. Perhaps better known as Drop the Lime, the Trouble & Bass head honcho has been pounding out garage vibes as of late.
Watch for it coming out on Ultra on October 25.
Curses on SoundCloud
Curses on Facebook
Curses on Twitter